Wednesday, July 25, 2012

WEIGHT BE GONE! A "Sleeve Gastrectomy"?

Hi Everyone! This is my Weight Be Gone Thursday. If you would like to follow me in my journey you are welcome, and if you'd like to share your own journey feel free to sign my linky below, and I'll come visit you, and read your story too! If you have a great diet recipe you would like to share I'd appreciate it very much.

The reason I've started my journey is I had a rude awakening to the reality of life's threats in that if I still wanted to lead a fun, and somewhat of a meaningful happy life I had to make  some serious changes.  

Okay, weighed in this morning at 253 and finally starting to get rid of some of this water.  I've had a discussion with the doctor, and I've been thinking about this for a very long time, and he's checking with my insurance company to see if they will cooperate as long as I have a medical opinion that medically I need this operation.  Sooooooooooooooooo  I've done my research, and here's what I've come up with. 

Number one, I've lost weight, but slowly and up & down.  I diet, but no exercise due to my Spinal Stenosis going out of whack!  Now, there's something called a "Sleeve Gastrectomy"! This lady I spoke with lost 160 lbs. by doing it, and not only is she pain free, but she's still losing and happier than a pig in...... well, you get my point!

Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

The sleeve Gastrectomy is an operation in which the left side of the stomach is surgically removed. This results in a new stomach which is roughly the size and shape of a banana. Since this operation does not involve any "rerouting" or reconnecting the intestines, it is a simpler operation than the gastric bypass or the duodenal switch. Unlike the Lap-Band® procedure, the sleeve Gastrectomy does not require the implantation of an artificial device inside the abdomen.

Because the new stomach continues to function normally there are far fewer restrictions on the foods which patients can consume after surgery, however the quantity of food eaten will be considerably reduced. This is seen by many patients as being one of the great advantages of the sleeve Gastrectomy, as is the fact that the removal of the majority of the stomach also results in the virtual elimination of hormones produced within the stomach which stimulate hunger.

For patients with a body mass index greater than 60, the sleeve gastrectomy may be the first part of a two-stage operation. Some patients have a body shape that can make a bariatric surgery more technically difficult – particularly those patients who carry their weight in their belly. If you fall into this category, you may benefit from a two-stage bariatric surgery. In the staged approach, a multi-step operation like the gastric bypass is broken down into two simpler and safer operations. In the first stage, a sleeve gastrectomy is performed. This allows a patient to lose 80 to 100 pounds or more, making the second part of the operation substantially safer.
About The Gastric Sleeve (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy)

Low BMI individuals who should consider this procedure include:

  1. Those who are concerned about the potential long term side effects of an intestinal bypass such as intestinal obstruction, ulcers, anemia, osteoporosis, protein deficiency and vitamin deficiency.
  2. Those who are considering a Lap-Band® but are concerned about a foreign body inside the abdomen.
  3. Those who have medical problems that prevent them from having weight loss surgery such as anemia, crohn's disease, extensive prior surgery, and other complex medical conditions.
  4. People who need to take anti-inflammatory medications may also want to consider this. Usually, these medications need to be avoided after a gastric bypass because the risk of ulcer is higher.
Now you ask what advantages does it have?
  1. It does not require disconnecting or reconnecting the intestines
  2. It is a technically simpler operation than the gastric bypass or the duodenal switch.
  3. There is no foreign body inside your body
  4. It does not need adjustments or fills
  5. It may be a safer operation for patients with a body mass index (BMI) more than 60. It may be used as the first stage of a 2-stage operation.
  6. Risks and Complications

As with any surgery, there can be complications. This list can include:
  1. Deep vein thrombophlebitis 0.5%
  2. Non-fatal pulmonary embolus 0.5%
  3. Pneumonia 0.2%
  4. Acute respiratory distress syndrome 0.25%
  5. Splenectomy 0.5%
  6. Gastric leak and fistula 1.0%
  7. Postoperative bleeding 0.5%
  8. Small bowel obstruction 0.0%
  9. Death 0.25%
My sister-in-law and other people I know has had a gastric by-pass, but a few years goes by, and they're all putting the weight back on.  Even my next door neighbor had a lap-band done, and she only lost a few pounds.  I've discussed this with my doctor, and he's looking into it with my insurance company.  So, my friends we shall see will I be cured once and for all with this like they said I will or are these so called doctors practicing physicians and not for real doctors?  IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE???  I'm tired of every one practicing on me.  So, I'm for this I really am and I promise you shall get the before and after and of course along the way info!

You want to share your story or update of your journey?  Sign our linky and let us know.  Have a great day everyone and don't forget to check out my give-aways!  THANKS!



6 comments:

Lady Estrogen said...

OMG. What a strange coincidence that that is what I've recently decided to have done too. Just writing about it... RIGHT NOW. ;)
Good luck!

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

It does not look like something I would want to do BUT it does look like you have done your homework.
You have to do what you have to do.

Let me know. I care girlfriend!

~Naila Moon

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom said...

My grandma is considering getting this and I really hope she does. She's been overweight her whole life and just can't seem to lose the weight.

Colette S said...

Research is good
And we just have to remember that surgery can help, but we still have to change our lifestyle to get the one we want.

Keep pushing Dolly.

Adaptable Kay said...

I don't know CM...You know I'm not big on surgeries like this and western medical treatments and procedures in general.

It's great that you've done your research and you're still looking into things.

My advice is go with your gut (no pun intended) and do what you've got to do lady!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kayla I'm not big on surgery either!!! did you try to get in touch with that food company again to see if they have room to get you in their program? Love you me

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...