Saturday, October 3, 2015

German Potato Pancakes and my Big Gramma!

MY GRAMMA!

This is my grandmother... my father's mother, Gramma Chamberlin.  I use to call her Big Gramma only because my other gramma was only 4' 6" tall, she was from Palermo, Sicily and Big Gramma was from Dusseldorf Germany.

Big Gramma was a great cook and the potato pancakes recipe below I remember my dad teaching me how to cook them learning from his mother of course.  This wonderful woman passed on when I was only seven years old, but I remember her as if it was yesterday me sitting on her lap coloring.  Yes, that is us below dressed up for Halloween, and that's my brother Junior. Gramma always had a smile for me.  I love and miss you Gramma!










GERMAN POTATO PANCAKES

2 1/4 cups coarsely shredded peeled potatoes 
1/2 cup sliced green onions 
1/3 cup flour 1 egg
1/2 tsp. salt
Pinch of pepper

Mix all ingredients to make a batter.  Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a hot skillet. 
Pour batter (1/4 cup at a time) into the oil. Spread to 
flatten. Fry on one side, then flip to fry on second side. 
As a variation, you may add less onion and add some chopped 
apple instead.






1 comment:

Danielle S said...

We usually eat ours with apple sauce on the side.

I wish I had the recipes from my great grandmother (my grandmother was not much of a cook - her mother was). I do have her recipe for creamed tuna over toast, but I heard that her codfish soup was an incredible treat. I wonder which one of her kids got that recipe? Wasn't my grandmother.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...