Friday, September 10, 2010

"MEET ME IN THE STAIRWELL"

What were you doing that morning in history when a nation of people cried aloud?  I was getting ready for work watching the morning news sipping a cup of coffee when I saw the second disastrous plane fly into our second twin tower.  Who switched my channel?  Was I watching a horror movie?  I cannot believe my eyes.  In disbelief I kept getting ready, and left for work.  It was all over the radio, there was a deafening silence in the air.  I was driving past O'Hare Airport, and the airplanes on the ground gave me chills.  Oh Lord, can you hear me?  What is going on down here?  Is it the beginning of the end or is it a warning of what is yet to come?  I still felt empty even though I am alive, and safe.  I prayed for my husband, and my family that they too were okay.

We watched in awe and shock that whole night long, and donated what we could, and prayed until dawn.  No survivors as of yet?  None to find.  Dear God are they with you?  Confusion in my mind.  Tower Two fell to the ground, the silence was deafening, there wasn't a sound.  I'm only one person in this great country of ours.  You are my countrymen, my heart is saddened.  What can I do?  I feel so helpless, so empty!  Then something told me to use my hands, as those volunteers did.  They used what talent they had Firemen, Policemen, Doctors, and Nurses.  I don't have talent like them.  What can I do?  Then my fingers started to move.  I felt a tad better with every passing day.  It took me about a month to finish my donation to the day!  Rest in peace my friend, my fellow citizen.  As I watched on television the shadows of the Twin Towers were now two beams of light, and the Lady that stood at the shore of NYC seem to have a tear flow from her eye as she seemed to be waving good-bye!



This is what comforted me. I crocheted the above for 9/11/01
 LET US PRAY!

11 comments:

Lorie Shewbridge said...

Dolly,
You wrote such a beautiful tribute. You captured what was in all of our hearts and minds that day and the days that follow.
What a gorgeous blanket and pillow you made to help comfort you. I am amazed by your heart and your talent.
Thank you for sharing a piece of yourself with us.
Hugs, my friend, Lorie

Unknown said...

I rarely turn the TV on in the mornings so I was oblivious at first. Then my sister called and told me to turn on the TV. I asked what channel, she said it didn't matter to which I responded, "What?" Just turn on the TV she repeated. OMG I was stunned and then I started crying.

Love the afghan, it is a work of art.

Thanks for stopping by.

CMash said...

Beautiful post!!!
CMash

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

I really hope that people will recall how everyone after 9-11-01 worked together. We hugged, held our breath, and genuinely cared. Things are slowly slipping back to the hatred that was there before. I really hope that people will think about this and make that the true message of remembrance of that horrible, horrible day 9 years ago.

Stef H said...

i literally watched those towers being built. do you know how many xmas parties i went to there? they had a restaurant on the top floor that had a veiw of NYC to die for (no pun intended). too long a story to go into on where i was 9 yrs ago - just arriving at work at the sears tower. i was home by 10:30 that morning. the closed the bldg. & let us go home.

i cried for days. forturnately i didn't lose anyoone in that tragedy!

Anonymous said...

Like a lot of people I'm still not over this yet. Just came back from a service and the pain during the call for a moment of silence was painful and surreal - I can't believe it's been 9 years...it seems like yesterday. Prayer is all that's left to do at this point.

We just got in a little while ago and I came online to break the mood of this day. I, of course voted Dolly, one of the happier things I did today - but we can't ever forget those who died or their families who're living with this everyday of their lives and who still need our support. May God be with them.

Colette S said...

It was a terribly day.

And Dolly what talent you have! That is a beautiful crochet!!! Wow.

Natalie A. said...

Wonderfully written! It was such a sad day! I remember that day so well and I really can't believe that it has been 9 years!

I love what you crocheted! Great job!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Wonderful tribute! And what wonderful crocheted pieces you did.

Blessings & Aloha!

~ Noelle said...

what a beautiful post..
thank you for that... and the crochet piece..
beautiful.
i wish i had your talent.

Tricia said...

Great post Mom. I haven't seen that video before. It's a tear jerker.

I didn't know you Crochet that whole blanket. I don't think I've ever seen that finished.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...