Sunday, May 23, 2010

I QUIT SMOKING 10 YRS AGO, FEBRUARY, 2000

Oh yes I did!  I started smoking in high school when I was about 16 years old.  It wasn't cool not to smoke.  I'll never forget the first day I smoked, I was sick as a dog!  We're talking totally green!  Sick  Something should have told me that day that smoking wasn't good for you, but I ended up smoking for 34 years on, and off.  The first time I quit for nine months when I was pregnant with my first child, but I was a single Mom, and the pressure got to much for me I guess, and I picked it up again.  Another time I had caught pneumonia, and the illness wouldn't let me smoke, and there were other times, but it just never stuck!

One day I was on my way home from work, and I had been feeling heaviness in my chest for a few weeks, and that day it actually hurt.  You see my Dad died of lung cancer you think an alarm would've gone off in my head, but NOOOOOOOOOO!  Dingbat!  Well, back to on my way home from work.  I  had this deep pressure in my chest, and I said to myself, "Self, oh no you don't!  You're too smart for this crap.  We have too much to live for", and I crumbled my pack of cigarettes, and through them out the window!

It was hard at first because my husband smokes (and he still does, but I'm trying), and sure I asked him for a drag every now, and then especially after meals.  Driving in the car was hard too, but I picked up another habit, chewing gum!  In fact, I caught myself one night going out at 10:30 p.m. to buy gum because I didn't have any!  Laughing Baby Gum, who cares!  Here's the only downfall I had to quitting smoking!  I GAINED WEIGHT BIG TIME!   Oh, sure big pat on the back because I quit smoking, but what about the other habit?  Stuffing my face???  It has made me depressed, unhealthy, and just all around feeling so not cool!  I've tried losing weight, but due to a bad back that's been a VERY SLOW process!  Anyway, I just wanted to tell my bloggy friends who do smoke YOU CAN QUIT!  IT IS POSSIBLE!  I DID IT!  BUT --- be careful of picking up another habit to appease the one you're getting rid of!!

Today's is the hubby's birthday.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETHEART!  Must go make him his birthday brunch!  Have a great day everyone!  See even Dave says, "EVEN YOU CAN GIVE IT UP", now let's see if he can!

15 comments:

Tree said...

Happy birthday to the hubby, and congrats on your 10 years of not smoking! That's awesome!

I also smoked for a long time...12 years, started when I was 12...hmmm. LOL But, even with my hubby still smoking, I've managed to stay away from it for 22 years.

Good for you!!

CMash said...

Happy Birthday Dave !!!! Make sure Dolly pampers you all day !!!!

WTG on quitting smoking !!!
CMash

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

10 Years is awesome! I started smoking in High School, and quit a few times, but didn't REALLY quit until a couple of years ago.

And Happy Birthday to your hubby!

Natalie A. said...

Happy Birthday to your husband!

That's awesome you quit smoking!

Buckeroomama said...

Happy birthday to your husband!

Well done on quitting. I've seen my grandfather quit --cold turkey. With my uncle, it took a while, but he did it eventually and hasn't looked back since.

P.S. You can come visit again. You won't see the spider post unless you specifically look for it. :)

Faythe said...

Congratulations Dolly!
that is a thing great to celebrate! My hubby quit 30 years ago!

And happy B-day to your hubby, too!

Faythe @Grammymousetails

Unknown said...

Wow 10 years! That's awesome! Congrats!

Happy Birthday to your hubby!

Sandon and Othea said...

Congrats to sicking with it!

Sandra Burns said...

Great job quitting! All my friends smoked in high school, but I just couldn't do it. So I would go to the "smoking area" with them on smoke break and they would ask me to smoke and I would tell them I was quitting. LOL! I never smoked a cigarette my whole life, can you believe it?

LADYHIGHTOWER said...

Keep up the good work! Blessings!

Night Owl Mama said...

Always proud of you
Happy b day dave

Adaptable Kay said...

Happy Birthday to your Hubby!!

And you should be incredibly proud of yourself for quitting that nasty habit! Seriously, quitting is the first step to getting healthy :)

Now it's just a matter of watching what you eat (easier said then done, I know) and exercising-I'm convinced that if people substituted exercise for bad habits, EVERYONE would be perfect. LOL

Kelly Miller said...

Congratulations on quitting! My husband is one year smokefree as of February. We are so proud of him, and we're proud of you, too!

Sukhmandir Kaur said...

Congratulations, That's a giant step towards better health!

Lorie Shewbridge said...

Happy belated birthday to your hubby and congrats on your 10th anniversary of clean lungs!!
Now lets get your hubby to stop! I know he can stop, too.
HUGS to you both!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...