Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day Dinner!

As in a previous Post I showed you where my hubby took us, the Arcada theater to see Maceo Parker.  We had a blast listening to some down home "Funk"!  Valentine's Day I thought I'd clean up the house really good, and set the table really nice & have a candlelight dinner for two!
(Hubby brought me home a card on the table)
NUMMERS!
We have a frontroom & dining room  combined.  I worked hard all day & I made us Spinach & Mushroom Manicotti for dinner!  I made authentic Italian sauce with the fresh garlic, meatballs & Italian sausage & let that simmer all day.  I even put my Nana's family secret ingredient in there & simmered it all day! mmmmmmmmmmm  It was great!   Normally you wouldn't put so much sauce on top, but my hubby likes his smothered! 
Okay, so you're dying for the recipe aren't you.  Well, maybe not the sauce, but how about the Manicotti!  Actually, I got a recipe off the box for the Spinach & Mushroom Manicotti, but I gave it my own flare.

 1 box of Manicotti    -   2 garlic cloves
 2 T. of extra virgin olive oil
1/2  bag of fresh spinach
 Fresh mushrooms chopped   -  2 eggs
1 tsp. of seasoned salt         1/2 lb. of ricotta cheese
1/3 cup of chopped basil leaves
2 T. of cooking wine

   *While preheating oven to 350 - Cook Manicotti for 7 minutes and rinse/drain in cool water - set aside.   Take a large frying pan put your chopped fresh mushrooms in a pan of your olive oil and chopped garlic and 2 T. of cooking wine and saute for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.  Then put your chopped spinach mix in with mushrooms etc. cooking for five minutes.  Set aside to cool.  Take your eggs & beat lightly in a bowl after which you pour your ricotta cheese with it, basil and salt then stir in mushroom/spinach/garlic mixture in the bowl too!  Add any spices you like.  I added a touch of garlic powder, pepper, and oregano.

 Get your baking pan and pour some of you sauce covering the bottom.  Fill the Manicotti... I find if you hold the cooked Mancotti actually straight up in the mixture and take a teaspoon & pour it down the Manicotti it's easier that way without anything falling out the bottom.  Once it is stuffed hold it straight up with one hand, and then take a spatula and put it in your baking pan.  Once your pan is full sprinkle some shredded mozzarella cheese on the plain Manicotti then take a ladle and pour your sauce over them.  Then sprinkle parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes.



Let me add one thing here when your cooking your sauce all day I started mine at noon & it simmered all day for six hours.  I also cooked fried my meatballs and sausage, and taking grease & pouring it all into the sauce & cooked it together. mm There ya go my friends!  Bona Petite!
Now, what I want to know is who's gonna
clean up this mess?
HUH?!!??

9 comments:

Xenia said...

How sweet of you to spend all day making such a yummy dinner! I hope Hubby appreciated it... that HUH picture is hilarious!

Thanks for stopping by!

Night Owl Mama said...

I wasn't invited for dinner so it's not going to be me doing those dishes. lol

looks yummy I could of done without the spinach lol

Asha said...

I love manacotti. Your hubby looks like he enjoyed it too SO he should do the dishes. ;)
http://www.ashafullife.blogspot.com

Amee said...

Hi, I followed you on google friends from www.madamedeals.com and I am looking for blogs that want to sponsor my facebook contest if you can help head over to the discussion tab on my facebook page Madame Deals, INC.
I hope you follow me back. Thanks : )

Dave Moody said...

It was very delicious, indeed! My baby does Italian cooking like a true Dago. When I first tasted her cooking, I knew right then I was "pasta point of no return"!

Jane said...

Great looking food. Hubby looks like he's surprised. Didn't want to do those dishes I guess,lol.Blessings jane

Jackie said...

Wow...that sounds like a delicious meal! I have made sauce (the kind you simmer all day) in ages.

Adaptable Kay said...

Awwww, what a beautiful Valentine's Day Dolly! It sounds like you and 'daddy' -Lol- had a wonderful time :)

And that dinner looks to die for!

Lorie Shewbridge said...

Looks like a delicious meal. I have never been able to make the manicotti on my own, so I buy the frozen and Bill likes that well enough.
I think Dave's comment is adorable... I think you should keep that man. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...